Child Lawyers Paisley

Many different situations and circumstances can raise legal issues affecting children and their families. At Hunter & Robertson, our child law specialist Jilly-Anne Melrose approaches every situation with sensitivity and determination. She has vast experienced dealing with all legal issues relating to children, regularly advising and representing clients at Children’s Hearings and before the courts. By instructing an expert child law solicitor early on, who will fight your corner, it’s possible to ensure your rights are truly represented and protected. 

Residence & Contact - Child Custody Solicitors Paisley 

Despite best intentions, parents often disagree in the wake of a divorce or separation, both between themselves and when social workers intervene, on where children are to live and how contact should be maintained. Our experienced child law solicitors will advise on the options available for securing residence and contact, and where necessary, make powerful representations on your behalf.

Amongst other things, we can assist:

  • If residence and contact are in dispute between parents or other family members – in these circumstances, it is possible to apply for a court order. When considering whether to grant a residence or contact order, the court will be primarily concerned with the welfare of the child.
  • If residence and contact are in dispute following social work intervention, such as a child being subject to compulsory measures of care – in these circumstances, it is possible to hold a Children’s Hearing in order for the Panel Members to determine the level of contact that is appropriate. In certain circumstances, if not satisfied with that decision, the decision can be appealed to the Sheriff Court.
  • If you signed a voluntary agreement with the social work department for your child to go into care but would like your child to be returned home – although it is up to the department to determine the progress that can be made, it is possible for you to withdraw consent, which would require the department, if they wish the child to remain in care, to obtain a Child Protection Order. The issue would then by regulated through the court system.
  • If a parent moves with their children to another country, whether within the UK or beyond, without the other parent’s consent – in order to do so, they must have express permission from the court via a specific issue order. If the parent moves away with their children without consent or permission, it may be necessary to raise child abduction proceedings to secure the return of the children.

Adoption & Permanency Orders

If the social work department has advised you that your child will be adopted, we can help. Adoption, which is achieved through a permanence order, is a legal process that results in the parental rights of birth parents being extinguished and granted to new adoptive parents. For the child to be adopted, there must be consent from the birth parents. If you do not consent, then a Petition would require to be lodged at Court, in which the Local Authority would seek authority from the Court that the child can be adopted without your consent. You would have the opportunity to be represented at the Hearing and the Sheriff would only make a decision after hearing evidence from witnesses.

Children’s Hearings and Appeals

Our child law specialist Jilly-Ann Melrose regularly advises in disputes before the Children’s Hearings and appeals against Decision of the Children’s Hearings. She will let you know what to expect at a Children’s Hearing, from who counts as a ‘relevant person’ and allowed to attend, to the procedure and what outcomes to expect, as well as whether you can appeal a decision of the Children’s Hearing.

Contact our Child Custody Solicitors Paisley, Scotland

Our specialist child law solicitors have extensive experience and an enviable reputation in this area of practice. No matter what child law issue you may be facing, we will fight your corner. If you live in Paisley, Linwood, Renfrew, Houston, Johnstone, Dalry, Bridge of Weir, Elderslie or another surrounding area, please contact us on 0141 889 3196 or fill out our online enquiry form. 

Make an enquiry

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input